All my work is packed with symbolism, whether it be hidden or in a more obvious form.
Here is one that you will find in my art.
| ANTIMONY |
• Antimony is a chemical element with the symbol Sb & atomic number 51.
• It is a lustrous Grey metalloid, found in nature.
• Antimony compounds have been known since ancient times & were powdered for use as a medicine & cosmetic. Often known by the Arabic name Kohl.
• In Alchemy, antimony is disguised as the 'Grey Wolf', otherwise known as Lupus Mettalorum.
• This elemental alchemy symbol is said to represent animal tendencies found in humankind.
In Alchemy, it is the penultimate stage in the making of the Philosophers Stone (the process of making lead into Gold). It symbolises a closeness to enlightenment (spiritual development)
| PHILOSOPHER'S STONE |
The philosophers' stone was the central symbol of the mystical terminology of alchemy, symbolising perfection at its finest, enlightenment, and heavenly bliss.
• Efforts to discover the philosophers' stone were known as the Magnum Opus ("Great Work”)
• The philosopher’s stone may not have been a stone at all, but a powder or other type of substance; it was variously known as “the tincture,” “the powder” or “materia prima.”
• The quest for the stone encouraged alchemists from the Middle Ages to the end of the 17th century to examine in their laboratories numerous substances and their interactions. The quest thereby provided a body of knowledge that ultimately led to the sciences of chemistry, metallurgy and pharmacology.
• The squared circle, alchemical symbol illustrated the interplay of the four elements of matter
• The process of making the Philosopher's Stone reputedly requires 7 steps, as described in The Emerald Tablet. • To Alchemists, the Philosopher's Stone was the substance that could effect the transmutation of lead to gold.
• It also had the power of transforming any substance to something else (much like the power of a magic wand) • The stone was able to restore youth & held the power of eternal life. • Reputedly, the ingredients needed to make this stone was revealed to a few ‘chosen ones’ through angelic intervention.
Please note; The information is brief & you may want to research your own information.
| CUSTOM ART | Featuring Both Symbols |
Click on this link to see examples in my work
Or visit the SYMBOLIC TATTOO GALLERY
Thank you for taking the time to look at my blog.
Inky love x
PUNCTURED ARTEFACT | ART | TATTOO | LEATHER | PRINTMAKING | ILLUSTRATION